Thursday, August 26, 2010

.:Back to my Roots:.

"Never Gona Look Back Once My Feet Hit the Sand" -Kenny Chesney

This was my exact thought as we loaded the last of our stuff into the trunk. I couldn't wait to get in the car and drive 'till the map turned blue. My best friend and I were headed back to my roots. We chose to have a small, quaint, relaxing spring break, one to reconnect and bond with each other. Destination was St. Petersburg, FL. The next few days were her and I with the sand and sun!
After a longgg 12 hour drive we watched the sunrise over the sunshine state as we reached the beautiful shell beaches of St. Pete, I could smell the salt in the air, it was an all too familiar smell, one that takes me back to the first years of my life. Its like you feel it in your blood, all things that you worry about in your day to day life seem to wash away, just as fast as the tides wash away the shoreline.  I couldn't wait to feel the sand between my toes and the sun kiss my face. Serenity it was just to be there, and spend those moments with a friend I held so dear to me.
We pulled the towels out and rested there on the beach waiting to check into our hotel. It had been so long since I had laid in the sun, that I didn't realize when I fell asleep, my skin would hate me for it later that day...LOL Later that evening I took her to one of my favorite places I remembered as a child, the St. Pete Pier. The architecture of the pier has always fascinated me since I could remember. It resembles the structure of a pyramid upside down.
 As you walk up to the building you can see the pelicans everywhere, there is a little shack that sells food so that the children can feed the pelicans...I used to love to do this when I was younger. Its always neat to revisit the places that bring out fond memories of your childhood.
It helps you to reflect on the person that you have become and everything that has brought you to that point in life. Even the small things like that, will somehow put a smile on your face in your darkest moments. At the top of the pier there is a cute little restaurant that we ate dinner at. A couple of Miller Lites and some good fried seafood, was perfect as the salty sea breeze blew through our hair, when we watched the sunset over downtown St. Pete.
The next day we had lunch on at this cute place on the canal, with 48 oz beers and kids meals! LOL as we enjoyed or lunch and the view we happened to see some dolphins swim in from the gulf, it was so amazing! Definitely one of the best things we experienced while we were there.
After lunch we went to meet a friend of ours Chet Overall who happened to be in town also, for a photo shoot together. The location was another favorite place of mine as child,  "the pink castle" as I used to call it, aka Don Cesar.
We had a blast playing in the sand, with one of the most beautiful historic sites in the background. Later that night we somehow managed to find ourselves a local bar to go to called the Green Iguana. We met some new friends and got lost trying to make our way home USING a GPS keep in mind.."dang there must be "2" 66th streets???" LOL We had plenty of laughs and lots of inside jokes that we had to document so we wouldn't forget them. But this was one of the best times of my life. She is one of the few people in this world that I could spend days with and still be on the same page. After everything our friendship has been through, it would be hard to see this one go.
CHRISTI & TIFFANY ST. PETE 2009

 
 .:xoxo TMarie:.

No comments:

Post a Comment