Thursday, August 26, 2010

Blur Between Work and Play

"The supreme accomplishment is to blur the line between work and play" - Arnold Toynbee

My new job was very different than what I expected when I took the position. It seemed all great because I could work by my own schedule in my territory, but the mornings in the office didn't seem right to me. I enjoyed the field though. It took me on some great adventures during the three months that I worked there. I met some great people also, they were just trying to make it like myself. I spent both holidays in May out of town for work. I spent the first week of May in Memphis working a territory down there.
The team I was down there with decided to go out and celebrate for Cinco De Mayo at a local Mexican restaurant. I had my first ever "Mexican Flag" shots. As I watched the bartender set them on fire I'm not gonna lie I was a little worried how these were gonna taste! But to my surprise they were pretty good, and pretty! We had a great dinner it was a lot of fun. It almost helped me forget how awful my week was going in sales. I couldn't seem to get any new accounts. I was definitely struggling so bad.
That Thursday afternoon my friend Joey had called me to see how I was doing in the field and when I said nothing had changed, he asked if I wanted to cut  out early for the day go to Graceland.  How could I object?? He was a huge fan of Elvis and wasn't sure exactly where it was, and since I had been there before I thought it would be cool to actually walk the grounds. Graceland was so pretty, it was so surreal to walk into the house of the famous KING of Rock, to see how it was when he tragically left this world years before. The Record room was simply magnificent. The records on the walls seemed never ending.
When we got back to meet up with everyone, it was our last night here in the "Land of Blues" we were talking and trying to decide what could we get ourselves in to. Once all the paperwork was finished and we all got freshened up, we headed downtown. The first thing we planned to do was stop by the Civil Rights museum, to pay our respects to the other King...Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. one of the most important people in our history. During his fight for the Civil Rights Movement he wonderful life was taken from us in 1968, in Memphis. His memorial is located at the very place his life was taken that tragic day in history.
Once we left there, Rendezvous Famous BBQ was on everyone's mind and taste buds! That what we decided to have for dinner. It was definitely the best choice and signature Memphis dinner. The BBQ was soooooo mouth watering, I definitely recommend this place to anyone who travels to Memphis, its located in a small ally across from the Peabody Hotel After dinner we hit the famous Beale Street, for a couple beers and live music. That was a great night to finish the week, the next day I some how managed to get all 8 accounts that I needed for the week, so it ended up being a pretty successful week.

1 comment:

  1. As usual another AWSOME....EXCITING BLOG to read I feel as if I was there with you.....I'm begging you.....write a book!!!

    ReplyDelete